Building a targeted publication from scratch will likely be beyond the needs of most news organizations. But this case study can help you consider the thought processes that must go into publishing with a specific audience in mind. After the Baltimore City Paper died, former journalists there launched Baltimore Beat newspaper to serve the city’s African-American population. This resource will help you consider:
- How to identify a coverage gap in your community your content can fill;
- What needs your audience may have that you can meet;
- What restrictions your audience may have to accessing your content;
- What existing media serves that audience and whether partnerships can be built;
- How to gin up local support for your niche content.