Mobile publishing provides unique challenges and opportunities. This piece lays out five essential issues your strategy should adopt:
- Personalization, based on information about the reader or the reader’s device, including location or history on the site.
- Simplified search and other ways to speed one’s performance on the site, such as the ability to save articles for later access.
- Ties to social media and communities, since mobile devices are, first and foremost, used to connect people.
- Design consistency so that your mobile experience is part of the same family as your other products. Likewise, the design language and user experience should be appropriate for mobile.
- Speed kills. Or rather, slowness does. Most mobile devices must contend with bandwidth constraints, as well as a broad spectrum of process speeds and battery power. (The more data you send to a phone, the faster its battery drains.) So, thoughtful publishers strive to streamline their sites and improve the experience for their users.