This study of nonprofit marketing and fundraising commissioned by the M+R digital agency may not be relevant to all newsrooms, but even if yours doesn’t identify as a nonprofit, the report still illuminates digital behavior and trends.
154 nonprofits were surveyed about digital and fundraising programs to reveal some interesting insights, including:
- Overall online revenue increased by 23% in 2017
- Monthly revenue growth was particularly impressive: a 40% increase over 2016
- Email messaging drove 28% of all online revenue in 2017
- Website traffic declined slightly in 2017, with 1.4% fewer visitors per month
- Each post a nonprofit made on Facebook only reached 7% of its fans in 2017
- Instagram was the fasted-growing of the three social media platforms tracked, with a 44% increase in the number of followers
You can read the full report as a PDF and there are also useful infographics at the bottom of the study that you can share on social.