This report highlights brief case studies from several nonprofit newsrooms. Relevant to the discussion of live events:
- Current explores how it has utilized live tapings of its podcast The Pub;
- Iowa Watch discusses how it has used a live forum as part of an investigation (and livestreamed the event through the bookstore at which it was held) and how it has designed a local storytelling event engaging local residents to talk about their “Glory Days” of high school;
- The Lens’ attempt at creating community engagement at coffee chat sessions and happy hours at local bars;
- inewssource’s use of exclusive events about news as a way of increasing donations;
- Honolulu Civil Beat’s use of community forums to create spaces for healthy public discussion around key local issues;
- VTDigger’s hosting of a range of candidate forums and use of livestreaming to bring those discussions to as wide an audience as possible;
- and various other examples of initiatives, from the small to the more ambitious, as engaging audiences in live events, whether in person or virtually.